The only downfall of living in our condo is not being able to have a grill. #firstworldproblems
We’ve somehow managed to survive without one 😉 but it still felt like we were missing out on some great summer cooking options. So finally thanks to my brilliant Mama’s recommendation, I bought myself a grill pan and realized that this magical pan can dish out flavor very similar to a real grill.
In the (less than) one week we’ve had it, we’ve already made burgers, chicken, steak skewers, and now I’m experimenting with veggies! This sandwich was inspired by my officemate at work who brought in something similar and couldn’t finish it so she gave it to me. And being the food scavenger that I am, I ate it and fell in love. It’s been over a year now and I am finally recreating that sandwich for myself!
Grilled Eggplant & Veggie Sandwich
Ingredients: (for 2 large sandwiches)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- handful of spinach
- 1 tomato
- cream cheese or Boursin cheese
- your favorite bread (toasted or grilled)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Wash and dry the eggplant. Peel only 4 strips of the skin off. Too much skin can be too bitter, but no skin will make the eggplant mush up and not stay together in a nice round slice.
4. Place eggplant in foil to help it stay warm while you grill any other veggies you like in the sam way as above. I grilled onions and peppers to add to my sandwich. Once all veggies are done grilling, sprinkle them with the balsamic vinegar.
I absolutely love the combination of flavors. Carmelized onions, soft eggplant, fresh tomatoes, creamy cheese and crispy bread. And it’s so easy. A perfect summer sandwich!
Now what else can I grill on my new pan??