I haven’t done a home update in a while, but over the last few months we got back into working on our place. When we moved in a year ago, we had to furnish an entire house and didn’t focus as much on the style of the room. So, now we are taking each room and giving it slight updates with some homey accents.
I instantly fell in love with them and knew that the bedroom needed to be redesigned around them.
It was functional and we knew we loved the curtains and the furniture, but the decorative touches were minor and boring. It needed a few modern accents.
So with a few updates, this is our bedroom now:
|chandelier lamps – Marshalls | 8×10 rug – Home Depot | ottoman – Overstock.com | white eyelet coverlet – JCP| white frames and cherry blossom photos – Ikea| ruffle pillows – Pier 1 Imports|
Our bedroom is so much more relaxing and serene now with the lighter colors instead of the boring browns. All the items that used to be in this room found a home in our very bare and undecorated second bedroom.
We were able to do everything on a low budget. All the places are rather inexpensive and we were able to combine most buys with president’s day sales, coupons, or gift cards. Some tips I learned from my research:
- Home Depot has the cheapest rugs by far out of all the places I looked both online and in stores. An 8×10 rug for $145 is a steal.
- Ikea has the cheapest frames. These were $16, and even frames much larger don’t get much higher than $20 each.
- Overstock.com has the best selection of minor furniture pieces for a great price. An ottoman half this length and plastic looking leather was more than this one at Target or Amazon.
- Marshalls and Home Goods are great for surprise bargains. You can never plan on what gems you will find there!
- Changing the type of light bulbs in a room can completely change the vibe. Before we had really yellow bulbs that added a more gloomy effect to the already dark room. I purchased CFL light bulbs called “Daylight” and it provides a much whiter, cleaner lighting to our room and brightened it up instantly.
We are still not done and would like to get something small for in between the frames, I just need to wait to be inspired.
What are your favorite places to shop for home accents? Do you have any good bargain tips?