Time.com has an amazing summary of 2011.
It’s a top 10 of 2011,broken down into categories by topics (news, music, books, pop culture, scandals, world, sports, etc.). I spent way too long going through this, being sentimental and in disbelief that another year is over.
Top 10 buzzwords, made me laugh:
- Occupy (the crazy Occupy Wallstreet movement)
- Winning (Charlie Sheen)
- Planking (“lying down game” ignited by YouTube)
- Carmageddon (in California)
- SuperPAC (nickname for independent-expenditure-only political-action committees)
- Cone of uncertainty (in reference to Hurricane Irene)
- Arab Spring (referring to Egypt protests)
- Man-as a prefix (mankini, manbag, manscape, man-dates, manchild, etc)
- Hacktivist (hackers with political premise)
- Leading from behind (in reference to Obama)
Top 10 tweets was an interesting one because it coincides with the top news. Twitter has been a huge part of 2011, and it is, surprisingly, how I get most of my news these days. The Washington Post Sunday paper insert, called Parade, also had a great summary of top tweets for the year.
Click on it to read. It includes events like: Oprah’s last show, Ashton & Demi’s divorce, Newt Gingrich’s presidential candidacy announcement via twitter, Christina Aguilera at the Super Bowl, Penn State, Irene, Gas prices, Egypt, etc.
Top 10 Overreported Stories was funny to look back on:
- The Casey Anthony Case
- The Royal wedding
- The “will they or won’t they” candidacy of Trump and Palin
- The Conrad Murray trial
- Strauss-Khan Sex Assault Allegations trial
- Kim Kardashian gets married
- Charlie Sheen’s meltdown
- Iowa Straw Poll
- Hurricane Irene in NYC
All the top 10 lists start getting repetitive after a while of similar people and events. But it’s definitely a fun summary to go through.
All of this made me think of my own best of 2011 list:
- Moving in with my love into our first home
- Starting a blog and being so inspired by other blogs to be more creative (foods to try, cooking, Pinterest, etc).
- Getting a big girl camera and learning how to use it
- Our trip to Poland
- Getting back into reading after a long break, with two big favorites: the Help & the Hunger Games
- Rekindling a friendship with one of my oldest friends, Emily.
- Getting an iPhone and iPad = life changing
- Enjoying sharing our home with many weekend visitors
- Having a job I really hated for most of the year, but getting through it and starting one I like much better in October.
- Netflix Streaming obsession.
What are some of your top 10 from 2011?