I am enjoying the cooler weather we have had recently. However, has anyone noticed that cooler weather also brings on the need for more comfort food and an increased craving for baked goods?
I have been working on expanding my homemade soup repertoire, in the hopes of balancing out my baking, and have found a new favorite.
It is the perfect soup for fall. First of all, it is fast and easy. The pumpkin gives it a healthy, creamy fall flavor, and the salsa spices it up giving it a Mexican food vibe. This caused me to instantly want to pair the soup up with some tortilla chips.
Let’s face it, I try to incorporate tortilla chips into as many dinners as possible… yummy.
Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup
from Hungry Girl
(Serves 4 – calories: 162.5, fat: 0.75g, sodium: 1128mg, carbs: 13, fiber: 12g, sugars: 6.5g, protein: 10g)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 3/4 cup salsa (this is where you can add or reduce the spiciness)
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese and sour cream
- Spray pot with non-stick cooking spray and heat pan on medium.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin, and stir for one minute.
- Add broth to the spices, and bring to a simmer.
- Add pumpkin and mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. This soup can be served with a sprinkle of cheese and a little sour cream on top.
Anyone else have any easy soup recipe recommendations? Do you find yourself craving different foods in the fall?