Happy 4th of July!
Confession: This is what I’ve been eating for breakfast all weekend:
Blueberries make it healthy right?
This long weekend is just what I needed. Among a lot of other things I’ve been meaning to do, the long weekend finally gave me time to bake!
This recipe was an easy fix to a problem of accidentally buying more ricotta when I already had an unopened pint in the fridge. You can never have too much ricotta, right?
This recipe is from my friend Basia’s mom, who hand wrote it out for me after I ranted and raved over how amazingly delicious her cake was.
In this digital age of bookmarking and Google Reader “starring” favorite recipes, it’s still so nice to have hand written recipes passed down from friends and family. It gives it a more personal touch and memory associated with the time it was given to you.
This recipe is simple and starts with a box of cake mix. I am a huge fan of using cake mix and turning a simple cake mix into a gourmet cake or cupcake. I’ve mixed it with pumpkin puree and this is another way of turning this already delicious base into something more.
- 1 box of cake mix (any flavor! + ingredients associated with cake mix)
- 2lbs ricotta cheese (low fat)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1t vanilla extract
- Make cake mix as instructed on the box, adding all required ingredients (eggs, water, oil)
- Pour it into a greased 8×11″ pan
- Next, combine ricotta, sugar, 4 eggs, and vanilla and mix well
- Pour that on top of the cake mixture
- Decorate it with fruit, chocolate, coconut or any toppings you wish. Or bake as is and top with chocolate frosting afterwards.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-45 minutes (or until golden).